Software Study Tools
| OWL3.1 Transition Lists
| OWL2 Lists
| Word Lists
So, you want to improve your game. But, where to start? There are the basics (2's, 3's, 4's, common bingo stems, etc.),
but then what? There are various software tools created for both desktop and handheld computers that you can use
to study and find words. There are also various word lists out there (mostly for free). Check out links below to
a variety of useful tools.
Just as important as learning more words is working on strategy. Joe Edley's
Everything Scrabble is a great detailed tutorial
on how to win the game. Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis also contains strategy tips,
along with an entertaining history of the game and the competitive Scrabble® scene. Once you start playing,
you can use the Quackle program for detailed game analysis.
Still looking for more? You should also check out Verbalobe, which
not only has word lists, links, and daily quizzes, but numerous articles on study techniques, strategy, tournament journals, and lots
of other interesting stuff. You can also join CGP, a Yahoo email list
games.groups.yahoo.com/group/crossword-games-pro, to exchange information with other competitive Scrabble® players.
Lists marked with +OWL3 have been updated to include words new to OWL3 (OTCWL2014);
lists marked with+OWL3.1 have been updated to include words new to OWL3.1 (OTCWL2016).
Please feel free to print these word lists for personal use, but please do not make copies of these lists and host them on another website.
Feel free to link to this page, or to a few of the lists here, but make sure the source (Seattle Scrabble Club) is identified; please don't just reproduce this page.
Software Study Tools (for internet, desktop, and handheld)
For your Personal Computer
- www.zyzzyva.net - Word study program by M. Thelen +OWL3 (must be NASPA member to access OWL3 lexicon)
- Quackle - Game analysis tool (you can also play against it)
- WHAT - Wolfberg's Helpful Anagramming Tool
- LeXpert - Carol & M.G. Ravichandran's anagrammer for your desktop and Pocket PC [note: the original LeXpert site is no more so your options are:
1) archived page(s) at the Wayback Machine (Be patient--it can take a while)
or 2) Windows Exe only archive (speedier download) ]
- Aerolith - Cesar del Solar's study tool (Jumbled Words, Anagrams, Timed quiz) +OWL3
- Verbalobe - Lots of excellent study tools & articles on approaches to improving your game (Note: hasn't been updated in a while)
- Ottawa Study Room - Ottawa SCRABBLE Club online quizzes & word lists
- Bingo Stems of the Week - Asheville SCRABBLE Club posts PowerPoint presentations of Bingo Stems
- Cartoon Scrabble Anagrams - Bingo Anagrams illustrated with cartoons, by Norman Wei
- JumbleTime - Jumbled Words, Anagrams, Time, Play (Note: appears to be unavailable)
- WordGlue - Stem builder, flashcards, etc., by John Dalton
For Handheld devices
- Zyzzyva - Zyzzyva and Zyzzyva Lite are available for iPhone devices
- Zarf - Anagrammer, clock, and word judge for iPhone
- LAMPWords - Paul Sidorsky's anagrammer & word judge for your PALM device
- Checkword - anagrammer & word judge for your iPhone [Lite version is free and just has word judge, full version also has anagramming tools]
- Franklin - Handheld OSPD4/OWL2 device sold by Hasbro at www.wordgear.com
Franklin Code: to unlock the OWL2 list on your Franklin:
- Press CLEAR
- At the READY screen, type **OTCWL
- Press ENTER
Other (not specifically for SCRABBLE® but could be useful or fun)
- Word Twist - Facebook application where you have to find all the subanagrams in a 7-letter word (make sure you choose TWL as your dictionary)
- www.playhangman.com - Hangman Scrabble: Sevens and Eights
- Scool - Paul McNett's online wordfinding tool
- FreeRice.com - not strictly Scrabble, but it's a cute vocabulary quiz
Basic Word Lists
- The Cheat Sheet - 2s, 3s, 2-to-make-3s, JQXZ, Vowel dumps, and Bingo Stems - by Mike Baron (OWL3) +OWL3
- 2-Letter Words grouped by consonant [pdf] - (courtesy of Walker Willingham)
- 2-Letter Words [pdf] - Formatted 4 cards to a page (print your club info on the reverse and hand them out to newbies...)
- 2-Letter Words with definitions - courtesy of Mike Wolfberg
- 2-letter word list, including definitions, maintained by Rick Wong
- JQXZ Words [pdf] - Words with J, Q, X, Z
- Vowel Dumps [pdf] - Words with lots of Vowels
- Vowel dumps grouped by consonant [pdf] - (courtesy of Walker Willingham)
- Two-to-Make-Threes [pdf] - Two-Letter Words and Hooks to Make Threes
- 3-letter word list, including definitions, maintained by Rick Wong
- Threes [pdf] - Three-Letter Words
- [NSA] Important Words to Raise Your Score - 2s, 3s, 2-to-make-3s, JQXZ, Vowel dumps - all on ONE double-sided sheet
- The Canonical List of TWL2 Anamonics
- The Cheat Sheet - 2s, 3s, 2-to-make-3s, JQXZ, Vowel dumps, and Bingo Stems - by Mike Baron (OWL2 and OSPD4 versions)
Transition to OWL3.1 Word Lists +OWL3.1
Late July 2016, NASPA announced a minor update to the Official Tournament and Club Word List (aka OTCWL2014 or OWL3).
This updated list, which they are calling OTCWL2016 and we are referring to as OWL3.1,
went into effect for club and tournament play 1 September 2016.
The changes appear to be as follows:
- Incorporating the Errata from OTCWL2014 into a new printing: OTCWL2016
- The addition of 1106 new words (all of which are at least 9 letters long)
*Documents for newly added words:
- OTCWL2016 New Words : Two-page list of words newly added to the OTCWL2016 (OWL3.1) Use this one!
- OTCWL2016 New Words : One-page list of words newly added to the OTCWL2016 (OWL3.1)
- OTCWL2016 New Definitions : 7-page complete list of words (with definitions!) newly added to the OTCWL2016 (aka OWL3.1)
- OTCWL2016 Errata : Errata for the new the OTCWL2016 (aka OWL3.1) - ONLY needed if you purchase the new book
- OTCWL2016 Errata (2-up) : Errata for the new the OTCWL2016 (aka OWL3.1) - ONLY needed if you purchase the new book
Transition to OWL3 Word Lists +OWL3
- OWL3 Cheat Sheet [6-page pdf] - New 2s, 3s, 4s, JQZX, expurgated, NASPA Errata, top 7s & 8s +OWL3
- New Words with Definitions [11-page pdf] - New 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s with definitions and notes +OWL3
- One-page printable "cheat sheet" with some of the most
popular new words (2s, 3s, JQXZ, new stem bingos, etc.) +OWL3
- New Stem Bingos New bingos from common stems +OWL3
- New Bingo 7s New High probability 7s +OWL3
- New Bingo 8s New High probability 8s +OWL3
- OTCWL2014 Power Letters and Dumps JKQXZ, vowel dumps, consonant-heavy 5s +OWL3
- Official Errata for OTCWL2014 - at NASPA website, requires NASPA login
- OWL3 word lists Mike Wolfberg (developer of WHAT) has compiled many useful lists to learn the new words +OWL3
- 2-to-make-3s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 3-to-make-4s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 4-to-make-5s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 5-to-make-6s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 6-to-make-7s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 7-to-make-8s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 8-to-make-9s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 9-to-make-10s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 10-to-make-11s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 11-to-make-12s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 12-to-make-13s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 13-to-make-14s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 14-to-make-15s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- 15s Compiled by Amnon Meyers +OWL3
- NEW OWL3 words not in the printed OSPD5 (2-8 list) from Amnon Meyers *note that print and online OSPD5 lists differ* +OWL3
- ALL OWL3 words not in online OSPD5 lists (2-15 list) from Amnon Meyers *note that print and online OSPD5 lists differ* +OWL3
- Merriam-Webster Scrabble Word Finder - limited online word lookup utility [Note: you must
click Tournament Mode and use your NASPA login to access the full list, and as of July 2015 it still does NOT incorporate the Errata published back in October 2014].
A separate page was created back in 2014 with words lists and information about the transition to OWL3
and has more details about the history of the transition, but is not complete. You should look on this page for printable word lists and resources that use the new words.
Lists on this page marked with +OWL3 have been updated with words new to OWL3 (OTCWL2014).
Transition to OWL2 Word Lists
- Cheat Sheet [pdf] - New 2s, 3s, 4s, JQZX, expurgated, Type I+II 7 & 8's
- Fives to Tens [Word doc] - New 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s, K words
- Combined new words [pdf] - New 2s, 3s, 4s, JQZXK, expurgated, Type I+II 7 & 8's, 5s, 6s, 7s, 8s, 9s, 10s
- Mike Wolfberg's Lists - Lots of OWL2 word lists, with definitions, hooks, etc.
- Toronto Club Word lists - OWL2 changes with definitions
- [NSA] New 2's and 3's with definitions - OSPD3/OSPD4 (expurgated)
- [NSA] List of OSPD3/OSPD4 changes (does NOT include expurgated words, or new trademarks that have been added)
- owl2_2-9_has_owl_anagram.txt - courtesy of Doug Kruyt
- owl2_2-9_with_owl_anagrams.txt - courtesy of Doug Kruyt
ERRATA for OWL2 and OSPD4:
Note that errors have been found both in the printed OSPD4 and the printed OWL2,
as well as the NSA's website and the Scrabble News (#201, announcing the new words). Check the NSA's
ERRATA list for the final word.
Ken Clark's word lists: [all of these use OWL2 and LL, where applicable]
- new7-alpha.doc - new 7's in alphagram order. +OWL3
- new8-alpha.doc - new 8's in alphagram order. +OWL3
- owl3-3.doc - All 3-letter words with the new ones BOLDED+ +OWL3
- owl3-4.doc - All 4-letter words with the new ones BOLDED+ +OWL3
- new4-5.doc - New 4-letter words with all their hooks and existing ones that have new hooks with new hooks only. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- three-four.doc - all threes with fours formed by hooking. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- new 3-4.doc - all new threes with all hooks, plus any existing threes with new hooks (new hooks only). New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- new-y.doc - all words with -Y end hook, where either is new. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- s-new.doc - all words with S- front hook, where either is new. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- s-all.doc - all words with S- front hook. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- a-new.doc - all words with A- front hook, where either is new. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- a-all.doc - all words with A- front hook. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- -ing-s.doc - all words ending in -ING that take -S end hook. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- -able.doc - all words ending in -ABLE. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- four-five.doc - all fours with fives formed by hooking. New words and new hooks BOLDED+ +OWL3
- -eds.doc - Words Ending in -ED To Which -S Can Be Added .
- man-men.doc - Words ending in -MAN which can also end in -MEN, separate lists of words ending in -MAN and -MEN only.
- -ie-y.doc - Separate lists of words ending in -IE which can or cannot be changed to -Y.
- high5.doc - All 5-letter words that contain at least one 3-point (or higher) letter (new words also listed separately).
- k-to-c.doc - Words containing a "K" that can be replaced with "C" to form a new word.
- 3-no-2.doc - 3-letter words that can not formed by adding a letter to a 2-letter word. +OWL3
- stem7x.doc - All the new 7s indexed by stem.
- stem8x.doc - All the new 8s indexed by stem.
- probn7.doc - All the new 7s indexed by probability.
- probn8.doc - All the new 8s indexed by probability.
- AHOOKS.doc - All words with A- front hook.
- SHOOKS.doc - all words with S- front hook.
- HOOKSY.doc - all words with -Y end hook.
- 4-5.doc - 4-to-make-5 (all 4-letter words, with 5-letter words formed from each by adding a letter)
- 3-4.doc - 3-to-make-4 (all 3-letter words, with front & end hooks)
- 2-3.doc - 2-to-make-3 (all 2-letter words, with front & end hooks)
- 4-no-3.doc - 4-letter words that do not contain a 3 +OWL3
- new5-6.doc - all new 5-letter words with all their front & end hooks, plus new hooks for existing 5s
- new6-7.doc - all new 6-letter words with all their front & end hooks, plus new hooks for existing 6s
- new7-8.doc - all new 7-letter words with all their front & end hooks, plus new hooks for existing 7s
- new8-9.doc - all new 8-letter words with all their front & end hooks, plus new hooks for existing 8s
- typei7.doc - all Type I 7-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- typeii7.doc - all Type II 7-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- typeiii7.doc - all Type III 7-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- typei8.doc - all Type I 8-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- typeii8.doc - all Type II 8-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- typeiii8.doc - all Type III 8-letter words [Adapted from the Scrabble Wordbook Mike Baron, Sterling, 2007]
- -INGS.doc - all words ending in -ING to which -S can be added
- -INGS9.doc - same but includes only words of nine or fewer letters
- -LIKE.doc - all words ending in -LIKE
- -LIKE9.doc - same but only words of nine or fewer letters
- -ABLE9.doc - same but only words of nine or fewer letters
- YHOOKS.doc - all words with Y- front hook
- HOOKSA.doc - all words with -A end hook
- -BIRD.doc - just a fun list, words ending in -BIRD, -BUG, -FISH, -FLY & -WORM
- new-like.doc - New words ending in -LIKE, -ABLE, -IBLE
- new-ings.doc - Words ending in -ING to which -S can be added resulting in a word new to OWL2
- newHOOKS.doc - Front hooks involving new words for all letters except A and S
- newhooks.doc - lists all front hooks where either the base word or hook are new to OWL3 +OWL3
- newflips.doc - Words of 6, 7, & 8 letters that can be split in two parts of at least 3 letters each & transposed to form another word (involving new words)
- -ise-ize.doc - Three Separate lists of words that have endings in either -ISE or -IZE or both +OWL3
- -izer.doc - Words ending in -ISER or -IZER
- -ed.doc - Words formed from a root plus -ED that are not formed from verbs (e.g. PAJAMAED, KIMONOED)
- comeback.doc - 3-letter front extensions for 5-, 6-, & 7-letter words starting with J, K, Q, and Z
- i-to-y.doc - Words that form another word when an I is changed to Y
- juxta.doc - 7- and 8-letter juxtagrams (pairs of words identical except for the transposition of two adjacent letters)
Rebecca Slivka's Theme Word Lists:
Have a comment or correction to one of these theme word lists?
While all of these lists might be updated occasionally, those marked with a * are definitely works in progress.
Lists marked with +OWL3 have been updated to include words new to OWL3.
- Abridge - Abridged, Expurgated, Bowdlerized, etc.
- African +OWL3
- Alcohol - Alcohol and drinking +OWL3
- Antelopes +OWL3
- Arab/Islam - (yes, they are not synonymous, but I'm putting them together in one list)
- Armor - Knights, armor, and related weapons +OWL3
- Astronomy - (see also Physics)
- Aviation - Aviation and flying
- Bicycle* +OWL3
- Birds +OWL3
- Blood - Blood, heart, circulatory system +OWL3
- Bones +OWL3
- Bottles - Bottles, jars, etc.
- Candy - Candy and Sugar and Sweets +OWL3
- Cards - Cards and card games
- Cars - Cars and carriages +OWL3
- Cheeses - Cheese and cheese-making +OWL3
- Chinese* +OWL3
- Coffee & Tea +OWL3
- Colors - Colors and Colours
- Computers +OWL3
- Cows - Cows, milk, etc. +OWL3
- Crime and Punishment +OWL3
- Currency - Money, coins, monetary units
- Dancing +OWL3
- Death +OWL3
- Digestion +OWL3
- Directions +OWL3
- Dirt - dirt, soil
- Dogs +OWL3
- Dirt and soil
- Distances - distance, length, and units of measurement related thereto
- Drugs - Drugs, medicines, etc.
- Ends in DoubleConsonant - *DD *GG *HH *TT, etc.
- Ends in -GOs and/or GOes
- Ends in -mans - Words ending in -mans
- Ends in YS
- Eyes - sight, vision, etc.
- Fabric - Fabric and cloth, sewing and knitting +OWL3
- Family +OWL3
- Farming - agriculture +OWL3
- Fat +OWL3
- Fish +OWL3
- Flags - Fun with Flags
- French* - French words +OWL3
- Fossil Fuels* - Oil, Petroleum, Coal, etc.
- Fruit +OWL3
- Funny - Humor
- LGBTQI - Gay, Lesbian, Bi, etc. +OWL3
- German* - German words
- Gluey - Gluey, sticky stuff +OWL3
- Gods - gods and mythical beings (see also Religion)
- Guns - guns and weapons
- Hair +OWL3
- Happy - happy happy joy joy +OWL3
- Harry Potter - Characters and other words from the Harry Potter series +OWL3
- Hats - Hats and head coverings
- Hello and Goodbye - arrivals and departures +OWL3
- Hindu - Hindu and Indian words +OWL3
- Horses - Horses and other equines +OWL3
- Idleness - Lazy, time-wasting, etc. +OWL3
- Insects +OWL3
- Interjections +OWL3
- Intelligent - Intelligent, smart, able
- Italian* +OWL3
- Japan - Japanese words and derivations +OWL3
- Jewelry - Gems and Jewelry
- Legal - the Law
- Letters - Letters of the Alphabet(s)
- Marine Mammals +OWL3
- Mollusks +OWL3
- Monkeys and apes +OWL3
- Mountains - from high mounds to molehills
- Musical Instruments +OWL3
- Mushrooms and Fungi +OWL3
- Names* - Names of People
- Nonsense - Nonsense, Confusion, Foolishness, Stupidity
- Pain - Pain and pain relievers +OWL3
- Paper - Paper and Books +OWL3
- Pasta - Pasta and noodles +OWL3
- Peace - Peace and quiet
- Pigs +OWL3
- Places* - Cities, Regions, Countries, etc.
- Prostitutes - Prostitution and loose men/women
- Reptiles - (see also, Snakes, Dinosaurs)
- Religion - Religion (all kinds)
- Roads - Roads, Streets, Highways
- Royalty - Royalty, nobility, and rulers
- Science Fiction* +OWL3
- Sheep +OWL3
- Ships - Ships, boats, navigation +OWL3
- Shoes - Shoes, socks, foot coverings +OWL3
- Shouldn't be Good - words that shouldn't be good, but are in the list
- Sleep +OWL3
- Smoking +OWL3
- Snakes +OWL3
- Soldiers - Soldiers and war
- Spanish* - words of Spanish or Mexican origin
- Thingies - Who/What/Where, Thingies +OWL3
- Trains - Railroad
- Trees +OWL3
- Trickery - Deception, Lies and trickery
- Utensils - Forks, knives, etc.
- Weather - Weather phenomena, wind, clouds, etc. +OWL3
- Words - Words and grammar +OWL3
- Yiddish* - words of Yiddish origin
Other Theme Word Lists:
- Table of the Elements - Neil DeWitte created this Periodic Table showing acceptable Element words
- Yiddish - words with Yiddish/Hebrew origin - Andrea Carla Michaels
- Polyorths - words with three or more different spellings (started by Amit Chakrabarti, updated and maintained by RS) +OWL3
- moneybag.txt - Currencies - courtesy of Austin Nichols
- OWL2-alphawords.txt - All the words whose letters are in alphabetical order - from Zyzzyva
- Like7s8s.pdf - 7/8-letter -LIKE words grouped by category...courtesy of Paul Phillips +OWL3
- NON78.pdf - 7/8-letter NON- words grouped by category...courtesy of Paul Phillips
Other Word Lists:
- Phonies with Anagrams - courtesy of John Chew
- openers5plus.txt - 5 letter words containing high-scoring tiles but not ESJQXZ...courtesy of Adam Michelson
- Expurgated words - Complete list of expurgated words (valid in OWL3, but omitted from OSPD5 because "offensive") +OWL3
- OSPD3 expurg.html - Expurgated words from OSPD3/OWL - courtesy of Steven Alexander
Collins/CSW Word Lists:
For those interested in learning the words used in most international English Scrabble, here are some
lists to get you started:
More info about playing Collins/CSW tournaments in North America can be found on the
*NOTE: Lots more people have created lists--these are just a sampling of what is available. You can make your own with some
of the software listed above (LeXpert, Zyzzyva, etc.).
Do YOU have a list you want to share?
Send us a link
(or your list) and we'll post it here.
Printed/Published Study Guides
||101 Two-Letter Words - Stephin Merritt, Roz Chast
This lovely book has a poem and illustration for each of the 101 acceptable two-letter words (sample below).
De means "of," or "from," in names
like Cruella de Vil.
It's fun to use in drag-name games;
to wit: Ova de Hill.
||Everything Scrabble - Joe Edley's definitive work on Scrabble Strategy
The ultimate book on the SCRABBLE game written by the National SCRABBLE Association Executive Director,
John D. Williams Jr. and the only three-time National SCRABBLE Champion and World Team member, Joe Edley.
Contains rare interview with Alfred Mosher Butts, the game's inventor, as well as tips to make you a better
player at EVERY skill level.
||The SCRABBLE® Player's Handbook - The Latest in Scrabble Strategy
A definitive and free ebook on how to play Scrabble, written by a dozen of the best tournament players in the world.
All twelve authors have competed in past World Scrabble Championships and have spent over a year combining their
knowledge into this one free Scrabble resource.
Sample topic: John Van Pelt's
that pictorializes factors that go into deciding on a move.
Warning: this book uses the CSW (international) word list throughout!
||How to Play SCRABBLE Like a Champion - Joel Wapnick
Do mathematics and psychology have anything to do with winning at SCRABBLE? Indeed they do, says 1999 world champion Joel Wapnick.
In his powerful guide to SCRABBLE strategy and tactics,
he explains such important aspects of the game as how to play the odds, and offers tips for keeping opponents mentally off balance.
||Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive ScrabblePlayers - Stefan Fatsis
Mingles strategy, game history, and encounters with real scrabble players in a fascinating story of a writer getting sucked into the
competitive world of SCRABBLE®.
||Bob's Bible and more - Robert Gillis sells a variety of very useful printed & bound word books
||Mike Baron's SCRABBLE Wordbook -
[you can also get the
OWL2 Addendum for Mike's earlier work: The Complete Wordbook for Game Players: Winning Words for Word Freaks]
Complete with winning word lists, such as those that combine high-scoring letters, those that
have a preponderance of vowels, and those that allow multiple I and U dumps, it also offers tips on
hitting triple-triples and achieving those elusive 7-letter bingos.
These specially selected words and expert hints are guaranteed to boost scores. Based on the
Official Scrabble Players Dictionary, Fourth Edition
and with foreword by World SCRABBLE Champion Brian Cappelletto.
Diane Firstman has created humorous alternate definitions to common (and not-so-common) words.
"Weird (or new) words stick in my head better when I make up a silly definition for them.
I call them "DEFALTS" (ALTernate DEFinitions)." Diane
was posting "DEFALTS" definitions to CGP for over a year before compiling them into a book.
She continues to create new volumes... so check back for more!
||Word Nerd -
Peter Schwartzman has published several quiz study books.
Software Study Tools
| OWL3.1 Transition Lists
| OWL2 Lists
| Word Lists